1. 1 cup soaked red kidney beans (overnight)
2. 1 tsp chopped green chillies
3. 1/2 a diced onion and 1/2 julienned onion
4. 2 tbsp minced garlic
5. 1 tsp salt
7. 1 tsp brown sugar
8. 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
9. 1 lemon
10. 1 tsp red chilli powder
11. 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves (dhaniya)
12. 2 tbsp hemp seed (extra virgin) oil
13. 1/3 cup hot sauce (of your choice)
14. 2 tbsp toasted chickpea flour or gram flour (besan)
15. 1/2 a diced beetroot
16. 2 chopped potatoes
17. 2 tsp sea salt
18. 1 tsp crushed black pepper
19. 5 button mushrooms sliced
20. Burger buns of your choice
21. 1/2 cup tzatziki sauce or salsa (for vegan option)
For the burger patty
1. In a large mixing bowl add the soaked kidney beans, chopped green chillies, the 1/2 diced onion, 1 and 1/2 tbsp minced garlic, salt, red chilli powder, hot sauce, lemon juice, hemp seed oil, toasted chickpea flour and the fresh coriander leaves.
2. Mix all the ingredients well using a masher tool. Once the consistency is set according to your preference, shape the mixture into hand sized burger patties. Keep aside until other aspects are prepared and then shallow fry each patty on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes each side.
For the roasted beetroot and potatoes
1. Chop, slice or dice the beetroot and potatoes, whichever you prefer! Throw them onto a baking pan, coat in sea salt, pepper and olive oil. Put them in an oven at 180 C for 20 minutes. After 25 minutes remove the beetroot from the pan and put the potatoes back for 15 to 18 minutes more for that extra crisp on the outside.
For the caramelized onions
1. Put some olive oil in a pan on low heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them toast slowly.
2. Add the julienned onions and sprinkle with salt to let the water drain.
3. Once the onions start to crisp, add 1/2 tbsp of garlic and let cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the brown sugar and caramelize the mixture on medium heat for 2 minutes. Once done, turn the heat off and leave aside for a few minutes to cool.
For the mushroom garnish
1. Take the sliced button mushrooms and cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste along with 1/2 tsp of garlic for flavor. Right before removing from the heat, add a sprinkle of chilli powder and lemon juice for the extra kick in flavor!
Putting it together
Once all the elements are ready, it will be time to plate! We did a tzatziki, beetroot, patty, onions and mushroom chronology. You can go ahead and do whichever way you prefer! Remember, toast your preferred buns well and keep the roasted potatoes close by!